Sunday, July 10, 2011

This is going to be a long one so be prepared!!!

So much has happened since my last blog and it has only been a couple of days. After my amazing day of food on Tuesday with my Spanish class, i didn't think this week could get any better.
Wednesday was kind of a long day, but Thursday i was able to go to Lima with my half of the youth volunteers, and it was a great time. We got a tour of the office and of course there is always time for Starbucks! I went to Chosica that night with a few friends and ate some pizza and the most massive plate of Fried Rice that has ever existed, but man it was amazing!
Friday started a weekend of fun! After a day of school it was my friend Chris's birthday, and Peru played Mexico. I made my way to Santa Eulalia with my friend Matt and we met up with a bunch of people to watch the game in a Bodega. After the game we went to Chris's house for a birthday celebration. Little did we know that this was about to turn, "dirty"/ "crazy"/ "ridiculous"...IF a clown runs out into your birthday party and starts to grind on all the males while blowing a whistle, how shocked would you be? Hmmm, well in Peru you wouldn't be that surprised because this is common place...HORA LOCA, was an interesting and insane experience, as you can see by the pictures below! If it didn't take so long to upload videos there would be many of them, but i don't have the patience to do that right now! It was so much fun, but i also have an irrational fear of clowns, so at times i was frightened. :)



Saturday morning was another early start. We all had to be at the center to depart for our expedition to the mountains, where we hiked up to a freezing waterfall and ate lunch! The pictures don't do it justice, because it was so pretty, it was a different part of Peru which i had not experienced, so i was so happy to have gotten the chance to go!




Today Sabrina and myself went to Plaza Vea (grocery store of amazingness) and got a bunch of ingredients for pizza to make for my family. We made three different pizzas, one for my sisters who don't really like a lot of vegetables, and then Sabrina made her own and I did too. My pizza had a pesto base, with sauteed onions, red peppers and thinly sliced potatoes, fresh mozzarella, and other fresh chunks of cheese! It was so good, and i definitely ate way too much.


Tonight a few of us are getting together to have a Yhatzee throw down at my house, and i think it should be a lot of fun.

Exciting news:
We found out on Friday where i will be going for FBT. Field Based Training, is a week trip with our groups, where we get to go to a part of peru where there are volunteers already stationed and you get to visit their sites and see what they have been working on. It also gives us the opportunity to see another part of Peru and give us an idea of the different sites there are. My group is going to Piura which is the furthest site, a 16 hour bus ride. I am super excited, we are going to the beach, to a few volunteers sites, and getting to see a few special ed classrooms. I am super lucky and can't wait! We leave this next Saturday, so i will definitely be posting about that!

We got Wednesday off because the day was supposed to be muy peligroso (very dangerous) because the government put a stop to all transportation, and there were supposed to be riots. But no worries, that was supposed to be bad in Lima, not here...and it wasn't bad here, i didn't even notice a change...well except there weren't a million honking cars, because many just didn't go out. In the morning i played some volleyball with a few fellow volunteers and their host siblings, and then we played some soccer. A group of us went to this pool and then after i watched a movie with my youth group. And to finish my day off i went to my friend Keren's for Yhatzee :) it was a great day off!
Today we visited a CEBE, which is where the severe special needs kids go to "school" this place was actually pretty cool, but not nearly as amazing as the Ann Sullivan Center we went to in Lima. It was still nice to see what i will most likely be working in when i am at site.
This week has just been a little crazy, but good! I have decided that moving here has allowed me to become much more blunt of a person, not that i wasn't blunt before, but we openly talk about the most ridiculous, and what would normally be private things. It's ok though, i am not alone in this, Brielle tends to yell these things across the center or the table. Her and I have created quite the rep fro the Peru 17ers...chisme (gossip) travels fast here, and people just make stuff up so it is funny to hear that Brielle and I danced on a table? Not true. Ha it was an elevated surface though...not that this should be misconstrued as a table, seeing that it was a step....Ohhhh Peru 17ers we are a pretty fun group and i can't wait to get my Piura on :)
Until next time, hope you enjoyed hearing about my adventures here in Peru.

1 comment:

  1. This seriously made my life complete.... between this and your (short) email I feel satisfied with being updated on your life in Peru! I also have been slacking with emails because I've been so busy, but I'm happy to hear you had a yhatzee throwdown! (were there like 10 full houses in a row like in Venice?!) The pictures also made me smile because it looks like you had fun with that terrifying clown that I would not allow near me... haha. I miss you and love you and keep rocking out in Peru! P.S. I'm liking seeing your hair curly again.. reminds me of the good old days of Peaches and Kream. :)

    ReplyDelete