Sunday, July 3, 2011

Religious Holidays Rock

SO much has been going on in this last week, I can’t believe that my third week here in Peru is almost over. This week was a little bit different because after a fun weekend going to Lima and cooking French toast for my host family we had to return to school. 

However this week wasn’t a full week because we had Wednesday off. There is no separation of church and state in Peru so we got Wednesday off for San Pedro San Pablo. So on Wednesday we were supposed to take the time to go into our community and research. I took this time to do some working out with my friend Sabrina, and then we interviewed a Peruvian to ask him questions about the community. It also happened to be my sister’s birthday…well and the birthday of what seemed like the entire community (so many birthday parties).  I wanted to get her a treat, so I went to Chosica (ALL BY MYSELF J J J ) and I bought her a piece of Tiramisu cake from my favorite ice cream shop. When I got back to the house we all had lunch (later around 2:30 because that is when most people eat here) then we all had cake.

Afterwards my friends Matt, Sabrina, and myself ventured to Yanacota to find my friend Ali, because it was her sister’s birthday as well. Unfortunately after an hour of wandering the streets of Yanacota, we had to call it a day because we were unable to find them. However it did give me a chance to find out more about another area of where I live, and I am grateful for any knowledge that I may receive.  Pretty much I am having a great time in Peru, and I hope everyone that reads my blog can see that! Us trainees stay very busy, we get sooo much homework and projects to do, like a youth group that we must start in our community, but that is what this job is all about. Putting ourselves in uncomfortable situations, like me not being able to speak much Spanish and having to walk up to people and ask them stupid questions about earthquakes…that’s the job, being uncomfortable yet making the best from it, and learning for each day and each interaction.
Today I was able to I chat with my parents and with Karen, I am really happy to have this ability to communicate, and I hope that by updating my blog I have put any worries to rest. With that being said, I must go, I am writing this before bed, and I know that I will not upload this until later this weekend but I thought I would try to get it written. Tomorrow we have STD and security talks, and roles plays we all have to do in Spanish for the group…then off to our boss’s house for a BBQ…hopefully some good food, and some fun times. This weekened also brings another trip to Lima where we will be going to an area to work with kids in the streets. This should be a fun filled weekend and I hope that it brings the same amount of interesting/amazing/crazy things, like my last few weekends!
Until next time J
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I loved ichatting with you even though it was choppy! It's so wonderful to hear about your experiences in Peru! And I love the photos too.. It makes it feel like u aren't that far away. Love you and keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete