Monday, August 8, 2011

Caja...amazing? We will be changing that :)

Soooo much ha happened since my last post!
I have been back from Piura for about two weeks now. We came back and had only two days of classes because Wednesday July 27th was the start of the week long celebration of Peruvian independence, Fiestas Patrias. We were all at Chaclacayo, the business volunteer's training center on Wednesday for the cultural lessons and on Thursday a bunch of us went to Yanacoto where we hiked in the mountains and after had a lunch of eggs, cheese, and guacamole together.


We also went to a free pool and hungout for my friend Keren's birthday at her house. I took a fruit salad with yogurt and granola. Its so crazy how you can find, super fresh fruit here, and yet many people still don't eat it.
 I had heard about a run to celebrate Fiestas Patrias on Friday, so when the day came i woke up and went with my friend Keren to wake up other volunteers, Tina and Katy to come run too. We signed up becasue we heard it was a 3K, which is less than two miles. We didn't prepare obviously seeing as it was only going to be a twenty minute jog. However we were then informed as the race was starting, that it was actually a 6k. That is approximately a four mile run, i was getting a tad uneasy seeing as i have really only ran four miles like two times in my life, i am more of a bootcamp girl. The last time i had run that far was like 3 years ago too, so yay. We start the race, most of which is straight up hill, of course. However this wasn't the only challenge i would face, the fact there were still dogs and cars trying to hit/bite you this was an interesting race to say the least. Not to mention i had to stop to go to the bathroom. (The Peruvian food can sneak upon you.) The run took us up into the mountains and finally the last 10 minutes were down hill. Tina and i finished together and my host mom was waiting for me proudly. Turns out the 6K was an incorrect approximation. We had successfully just completed a 12K or a 7.5 mile race. What a success seeing as i had hardly prepared and by that i mean not prepared at all. Afterwards we ate ceviche and laid out at the pool. The town was so busy because everyone who lives in Lima vacations to our city of Santa Eulalia because its a completely different climate here, by that i mean sun and warmth and no fog. It was cool to see all the people celebrating with dances, horse races and such.
 Saturday night i made guacamole for a fiesta de comida we had at my friend Kidist's house. It was a great time with a lot of gringas. On sunday we also had a day filled with food. At nine am my friends Matt, Kyle and myself set out of the market where we purchased all the ingredients for pizza. We ended up having to make the dough from scratch, and we also made the tomato sauce as well, (Sabrina's work) we cooked successfully for five hours for matt's family. They ate and ate and ate, and so did we. We took the left over ingredients and added pasta and baked it, making a delicious pest/red sauce pasta bake covered in cheese to take to my friend Ali's for a pot luck. The activities for the weekend were so much fun but Monday we returned to school where we have continue language classes.




However wednesday we were told the big news, our site assignments. I will be living my next two years in Cutervo Cajamarca. This is north in Peru, i am actually pretty close to the rain forest. I will be working in a CEBE which is a center for education for kids with special needs. I will be living with a family of seven, but i believe only five of the people will be living in the house. My little brother Pedro has down syndrome, and i can't be more excited. My city has internet, bathrooms, and supermarkets. I am very excited to see what these next two years bring.
Today is Monday, we departed on Sunday on a 15 hour bus ride to come here. The bus ride was probably my least favorite experience i have had in Peru, a peruvian man sat infront of me, he reclined his chair which means his head was in my lap for the 12 hours we had remaining on our trip. I literally was trapped at one point, i couldn't move my knees or anything, it was the most uncomfortable time i have had yet...but it was well worth it when we pulled up to Cajamarca City, where we were greeted with mountains and trees.



There will be more to come after this week full of activities. We spend all week here in Cajamarca, tomorrow we will meet our socios (the people who help us in our communities) and then on Wednesday our group splits off, and each of us will go to our perspective site and stay with our host families for three days and live in site! We then return for our last week of training on Saturday, and we are finally sworn in on Friday. Busy Busy Busy, but so excited for everything that is about to come!
Until Next time,
Livin life in "Caja..amazing" hmmmm interesting slogan...wonder how long this will last.

1 comment: