Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Departure Day


The last few weeks have flown by, full of “to-do” lists, parties, and goodbyes. Though it felt like it was never going to arrive, the day has finally come, departure day. Last night I said goodbye to some of my closest friends, people I have known since 2nd grade, and people who have joined our group along the way. All of whom I truly love. It is so ridiculous to think that I won’t be seeing these people today, tomorrow, or even in a week, heck years. They have all been apart of my everyday life for years, and for this to change seems unreal. Goodbyes are difficult, but it helps to be comforted by Red Mango frozen yogurt.

Though we tried to stretch time with our hugs and small talk, the moment had to come where “goodbye” was in order. As Tone said, I never knew there were so many ways to say goodbye, all of which are so sad. Seeing as he watched one by one as friends said their last thoughts,…Erin proceed to tell me mom things like, “Be safe” and Lindsay ran away saying “don’t look at me” or Kayla and I hugged, approximately 17 times (Shocker Kayla hugging people). Until finally the time came for Tone and I to have our classic hug, with his classic laugh, and our classic banter. 

The hardest part however was yet to come, which brings us to today. Departure day started off with my last shower in my house, which I am sure I have taken forgranted, and moved on to running to the store with my parents to get a last few things. Picked up some ice coffee, which I also know will be hard to come by before heading home to sit on the front porch and ensure everything was in order. About an hour of shifting weight around and making one final edit, my bags were 100% ready. Weighing in at 48.7 lbs and 37.6 lbs, plus my back pack and Roo which total 35 lb as well,

We decided with an hour left until I needed to check in at the airport, we would run one final time to the oven, where I ate my last bowl of Muligatani soup before we headed to the airport. My brother joined us and at 2:20 I said my goodbyes to my family. Though I know the next two years will fly by, and that my parents will be visiting, and that with technology today I will get to communicate with them back home via ichat/email/facebook/and this blog, it was still the hardest thing I have had to do in my whole life. My parents have truly supported me in all my decisions. They have been an inspiration and guide as to how to live my life and treat those who I’m lucky enough to have in it. Saying goodbye to them was heartbreaking, but it is because of them that I have had the strength to make this journey.

I sit on a plane right now on my way to Chicago, where I will then catch my flight to Washington DC. Once in D.C. I will be checking into my hotel, and for the first time I will be meeting other volunteers who have also decided to go on this crazy adventure to Peru. I hope for the best, and would again like to thank everyone for their support and encouragement, but most of all love.

Departure day is well on its way and there is no turning back now....

Katherine 

1 comment: